This was a substantial property near Cwmbran which was built around 1848 and occupied initially by Charles Prothero, a well-known gentleman from Newport.
The first record of cricket at Llanfrechfa Grange dates from 1868, with the local team meeting Llantarnam in a match on 4 June. Other matches were staged that year against other teams in the Newport area including Llanvaches and Penhow, as well as an away match with Llanharan in the Vale of Glamorgan.
In 1933 the house became the property of Monmouth County Council and from 1955 it provided long-term residential accommodation for people with learning disabilities. Since 2009 it has been the property of the Aneurin Bevan University Health Board with the grounds being used as the site for The Grange Hospital.