Glamorgan’s matches during their Championship-winning summer of 1948 saw massive crowds turn up to cheer on Wilf Wooller and his men. Indeed, over 25,000 people were at St. Helen’s for the visit of Don Bradman and the 1948 Australians.
As the photograph below show, the ropes were brought in to allow people to sit and lie on the grass in front of the tiered enclosures, which had also been created during the 1920s, although they had largely been installed to provide extra areas from which people could watch the Welsh rugby internationals which also took place on the rugby field.
The image below shows how a massive marquee selling beer and food had been erected on the rugby field for the visit of the 1948 Australians, whilst many hundreds also watched from the rugby grandstand adjoining the Mumbles Road End.
Whilst the match with the Australians ended in a draw, Glamorgan won all four of their Championship matches at Swansea during 1948, defeating Somerset by an innings, Kent by 278 runs, Nottinghamshire by 221 runs, as well as Sussex by six wickets. The image below shows Wilf Wooller leading out his team for the match against Sussex, and there are stories that watching high up on the pavilion rooftop was Swansea poet Dylan Thomas – a great friend of BBC broadcaster John Arlott – with the pair cheering on the efforts of the Welsh county and, in the process, quaffing a few bottles of red wine!
Click here to read the next page about the history of St.Helen’s
Click here to read the previous page about the history of the ground