Cricket continued to flourish in Rogerstone after the Second World War and during the 1950s the first practice nets were installed, comprising coconut matting laid on top of a concrete strip. They were initially situated in the eastern corner of the Welfare Grounds, but it was soon found that batsmen were facing the setting sun so, with the Parish Council’s permission, they were moved to the opposite side of the Field.
During 1953 Leonard Price designed the logo for the Welfare Club which, as can be seen below, was based on Nettlefold’s Castle trade-mark, with the addition of two Welsh Dragons. Almost seventy years later, Leonard’s work is still used by the Club.
Finance was also raised for the team to have a series of kit-bags in which they could transport and carry their kit and equipment. The image below shows the presentation of the kit-bags from Dr George Hull, the village’s GP and the Club’s President, with the proud representatives being safe in the knowledge that the team would no longer be called the “brown paper baggers”!
One of the conditions imposed by Viscount Tredegar back in 1927 when agreeing to donate the land to the Welfare organisation was that no sport should be played on a Sunday. Up until 1960 all Sunday matches were played away and resulted in a bus outing for the players, their wives and families. That year the club asked the Parish Council if home games could be now played on a Sunday. They decided that this was a decision for the Rogerstone community and sent out stamped postcards to the 1,500 houses in the local area. Only 6% were returned but 90% were in favour and the Parish Council duly allowed the club to play a maximum of 6 home games on a Sunday. This was later increased to 11 games before eventually being forgotten as county cricket and other sporting activities became commonplace.
In 1960 the Parish Council agreed to take ownership of the cricket pavilion and oversee the preparation of the pitches. The Council also agreed to pay for the renovations on condition that the ownership of the building passed to them. Mr. Bellew, a local contractor, undertook the work and incorporated into the balcony rails, either side of the entrance from the outfield, three uprights placed close together to resemble a set of stumps.
At around this time, the cricket club were also asked to undertake their own catering and the Ladies section was formed to oversee this important aspect of club life. Further success was enjoyed on the field by the 1st Xi who were more than able to hold their own against other clubs in South East Wales, as evidenced by the club’s success in 1965 in the six-a-side tournament organised each year by the Barry Plastics club which attracted entries from all the leading clubs of the region.
Further changes took place to the ground in 1980/81 as a result of work associated with the Rogerstone by-pass. Tydu House was demolished and, in its place, a new caretaker’s house was built on the grounds, together with a new community building, comprising a hall, meeting room, tea room, kitchen and dressing rooms of a sufficient size to house four teams.
Click here to read more Rogerstone Welfare CC in recent times.
Once again, our thanks to Derek Picken of Rogerstone Welfare CC for his kind help in compiling these notes.