In 1892 the Reverend Charles Edward Thomas Griffith of Trevethin, near Pontypool, created a cricket team for his parishoners. The team, called Trevethin Church CC, played in a field near the village pub with Rev. Griffiths ensuring that the team was composed solely of regular churchgoers, no doubt, in order to advertise the benefits of healthy recreation and to swell his congregation.
Educated at Cheltenham College and Trinity College, Cambridge, Rev. Griffifths was an enthusiastic sportsman and after serving as curate of Merthyr and Blaenavon, he was Vicar of Trevethin from 1890 until 1900. He may have used his contacts in his former parish to arrange Trevethin’s inaugural match which was away to Blaenavon on 14 May 1892. Their other opponents that summer included Cwmcarn and Pontypool.
The club waned during the early 20th century, before being resuscitated in 1934. However, in 1957 the cricket pitch was purchased by Pontypool Urban District Council and the site was used for a shopping complex. The club used Pontypool Park as an alternative venue and in 1971 they joined Monmouthshire County Cricket League. But the club had been struggling for several years and the following year they disbanded.
Rev.Griffiths moved to Machen in 1901 before becoming Canon of Llandaff Cathedral in 1903. He was the Dean of Llandaff Cathedral from 1913 until 1926. He died in June 1934 at the age of 76.