British Nylon Spinners was created in 1940 by ICI and Coutaulds to produce nylon yarn. After the Second World War, they acquired a site at Mamhilad, two miles north-east of Pontypool and it was at this site in 1948 where their new production plant opened, surrounded by recreational facilities for its 5,000 employees.
A decent cricket pitch was one of the recreational facilities and in July 1954 Glamorgan staged their Second Eleven friendly against Gloucestershire at the Nylon Spinners ground. July 1959 saw the visit of the Pakistan Eaglets team to meet Glamorgan 2nd XI, whilst Panteg CC also used the facilities for their home fixtures. The ground also staged the Second Eleven Championship match between Glamorgan and Warwickshire during June 1861.
The complex was subsequently taken over by ICI in 1964 as well as more recently by Dupont. Production at the plant ceased during 1988, with the factory and recreational facilities demolished and converted into housing.