Cardiff Cricket Club first played at the Arms Park in 1848, and in 1867 the Bute Estate, who owned the land, granted them the exclusive use of the area in the northern part of the park, as seen in the image above. Soon afterwards, a small wooden pavilion – known as “The Swiss Chalet” was provided by the Bute Estate and this was the building used by the cricketers of Glamorgan and Warwickshire when the first county match was staged at the ground in 1889.
A larger pavilion was created at the Arms Park in 1904, as seen below, and this remained in existence at the ground until the mid 1930s.
Glamorgan CCC and Cardiff CC played at the Arms Park until the summer of 1966 when the ground was demolished as part of the scheme to create the National Stadium. Both clubs subsequently moved to Sophia Gardens.
For a more detailed history of the Arms Park cricket ground, click here.