Arthur Wolfe was a leading member of the Swansea association football team, besides playing once for Glamorgan in their MInor County Friendly against the veterans of the South Wales CC at St. Helen’s in 1895, with his appearance in the light-hearted match being more to do with his availability than any rich vein of form for the Swansea 1st XI.
A talented centre-half, Arthur led Swansea AFC for several seasons during the 1890s. He was also a fine full-back for Swansea RFC between 1885/86 and 1890/91.
Arthur was the son of Rev. Edwin Wolfe who served as Chaplain of the St. Nicholas Seamen’s Church in Swansea from 1877 until 1899. Born in Windsor in 1835 and educated at London University, Rev. Wolfe served initially in Dowlais, Merthyr Tydfil before becoming curate of St. Helen’s in 1867. He also combined his pastoral duties with teaching at Swansea Grammar School. In 1873 he was appointed curate of St. Thomas in Haverfordwest, followed in 1874 by a similar position in Falmouth, the home town of his wife Beatrice and Arthur’s mother. In later life, Rev. Wolfe was curate of Bleddfa in Radnorshire from 1899 until 1902 when he moved to Pembrokeshire, serving at Angle from 1902 until 1907, and later at Lamphey until his death in 1909.
Arthur worked in the steel and tinplate industry and during the 1890s he became the manager of a tinplate works in Morriston. In the early 1900s, he was appointed as the HM Inspector of Factories and moved away from South Wales to work initially in the Southampton area before, after the Great War, moving to South Yorkshire. He was due to retire in 1927 but, at the request of the Home Office, he remained in post to oversee new factory regulations regarding the cutlery industry. He had married Mary Organ in June 1896 in Swansea with the couple having four children.
WOLFE, Arthur J.
Born – Oystermouth, Swansea, January, 1867.
Died – Eccleshall Bierlow, Sheffield, 1 March 1934.
Career best performance
Minor County Friendly – 9 v South Wales CC at St. Helen’s, Swansea, 1895.