Ynystawe CC was founded during 1920 by a group of villagers who had safely returned after fighting for King and Country during World War One. The club initially played in Ynystawe Park which had been gifted to the local community by John Player. In 1953 the club bought a four acre field from a local farmer at Maes-yr-Afon and created their own ground.
In 1958 Ynystawe CC won Division One of the South Wales Cricket Association, with the image below showing the players and officials from the club, as well as the trophy.
The Ynystawe club have since moved into a new clubhouse and pavilion complex, opened in 1998, whilst in 2001 they won the National Village Knockout competition beating Elvaston (from Derbyshire) by 99 runs in the final at Lord’s, with Paul Discombe taking 6/18 – the best bowling figures in the 30-year history of the competition.