Winning after following-on: v Sussex at Horsham, 1929

Only a handful of teams in Championship history have ever won after following-on, but in 1929, the Glamorgan side – under the captaincy of Trevor Arnott – achieved this feat at Horsham against Sussex. Few of those present on the first day of the game could have surely forecasted the dramatic turnaround, especially as they saw Sussex total 306 with Ted Bowley making a workmanlike 130. Then when Glamorgan batted they were soon in trouble against the bowling of Bert Wensley, and by the close of the first day`s play were 57-5.

Sussex remained in control on the second morning, quickly taking the remaining five wickets, and shortly before lunch, the Glamorgan openers were back at the crease as the Welsh side followed on. Second time around, they offered a little more in the way of resistance, with John Bell making a stubborn half-century. Yet by the time that the arrears had been cleared off, Bell was one of five batsmen already back in the Horsham pavilion.

Guy Morgan – Welsh rugby international and Glamorgan cricketer, seen during his days at Christ College, Brecon.
Photo Credit – Glamorgan Cricket Archives.

It seemed like only a matter of time before Sussex wrapped up the match, but Guy Morgan, the 22 year old Welsh rugby international, duly turned the game on its head with what proved to be remarkable match-winning innings. The Cambridge undergraduate had been in useful form with the bat earlier in the season for the University side, but the athletic all-rounder had been primarily drafted into the Glamorgan side in an attempt to improve the county`s fielding.

Morgan proceeded to play the finest innings of his life, counter-attacking the tiring Sussex bowlers, and together with Trevor Arnott, they added 78 for the 7th wicket before Arnott was dismissed one short of an impressive half-century. Despite the loss of his captain, Morgan then took complete control, hitting boundaries all around the wicket, and marshalling the bowling to protect the tailenders. Frank Ryan also lent useful support, adding 85 for the final wicket, so by the time Ryan was dismissed Glamorgan had extended their lead to 203, with Morgan remaining unbeaten on 91.

Encouraged by this spirited fightback, the Glamorgan bowlers went back out, and reduced Sussex to 80-8. Jack Mercer and Emrys Davies proved almost unplayable, before Tommy Cook and Walter Cornford added an air of respectability to the Sussex innings. When Cornford was finally dismissed for 25, Glamorgan had won a truly remarkable contest, and it was fitting that Trevor Arnott should ask Guy Morgan to lead the victorious Glamorgan side off the field.

Leave a Reply