Pentyrch is a dormitory settlement, some eight miles north-west of the centre of Cardiff. Until the 1950`s, it was a small village, but over the past fifty years, it has expanded with it`s pleasant setting in the rural-fringe of the Welsh capital making it very popular with commuters who work in Cardiff.
In 1993 Glamorgan played one Sunday League match at Parc-y-Dwrlyn – the home of Pentyrch CC. At the time of Glamorgan’s visit, the club was known as Pentyrch and Old Monktonians CC following a merger in 1983 with the team, created over a hundred years before by former pupils of Monkton House School, Cardiff’s oldest boy’s grammar school situated in the well-to-do neighbourhood of Tredegarville. The Old Monktonians had played at various grounds in the suburbs of Cardiff, and the merger with Pentyrch gave them a permanent home.
1991 saw an extension to the pavilion at Parc-y-Dwrlyn whilst two years later Glamorgan visited the ground under an agreement with Taff-Ely Borough Council which had seen annual matches within the authority’s boundaries. Initially, Glamorgan had staged games at Pontypridd, but after experiencing parking difficulties at Ynysangharad Park, the 1993 Sunday League fixture with Northamptonshire was allocated to Pentyrch, despite the fact that the club had not previously played a 2nd XI match at the ground!