Jack Gibson was a building contractor, based in the thriving inner suburb of Canton, and together with his elder brother Willie, was responsible for the construction of the lavish pavilion at the Arms Park during 1904.
The Gibson brothers also undertook a number of other building projects at the Cardiff ground, including the improvements to the West and East Terraces of the rugby ground during 1938, having also assisted the year before with the dismantling of the pavilion they had helped to construct in 1904 and its removal to another sports ground in Cardiff.
His father John had established the family’s business during the 1880s and had undertaken work on the first grandstand at the Arms Park rugby ground during 1885. Four years before, John had lost his first wife, Annie, the daughter of the owner of Cold Knap Farm in Barry. During 1888 he remarried, having tied the knot with his widow’s youngest sister Sarah, with the couple, plus Jack and Willie, subsequently living in Pen-y-Peel Street in Canton before the two boys took over the business in 1904 with the Arms Park pavilion being their first major contract.
Whereas Willie was a talented all-rounder, playing for Glamorgan in Minor County cricket and appearing in other high profile games, Jack was a capable batter in local club cricket, playing initially for the Canton Wesleyan team, before becoming a stalwart of the Cardiff Alpha club. His only appearance for Glamorgan came during 1906 when, together with Willie, he appeared in the trial match against a Colts team at the Arms Park.
Jack married Eleanor Mary Minton during January 1904, and after living in Dogo Street, off Cathedral Road, the Gibson’s moved to ‘Hermitage’ on Fairwater Road. He remained an influential figure with Cardiff Athletic Club and, together with his brother, undertook many building works in the Welsh capital.
Born – Cardiff, 10 July, 1879.
Died – Cardiff, 1951.
Batting and Fielding Record
Minor County Friendly – 4 v Colts XVIII at Cardiff Arms Park, 1906.