Frank Morris , who played for Glamorgan during the 1890s, was a member of the coal and copper mining family who created the Morriston suburb of Swansea.
Frank was the sixth of youngest child born to George Byng Morris of Danygraig, and later Laleston House near Bridgend, who served as both High Sherrif and Deputy Lieutenant of Glamorgan. Educated at Malvern, George became an engineer, specializing in mining operations and ,whilst in his twenties, he played three times for Glamorgan between 1893 and 1896, twice in games at the Arms Park, and once at Swansea against the MCC.
Indeed, he was a prominent member of the Swansea club, even whilst still at school, and showed great dexterity as a wicket-keeper besides learning several tricks of the trade from Dan Thissen whose livelihood in Morriston was intertwined with Frank’s family.
Had Sam Brain not been Glamorgan’s first choice gloveman, Frank would have played more often at county level. He was first selected in 1893, starting with the game against Monmouthshire at Cardiff in June 1893 and his brief career in county cricket ended in the corresponding fixture at the same venue in August 1896.
Other members of his family showed great talent in sporting pursuits, with his elder brother George playing rugby for Swansea and winning five caps for Wales. His other brother Charles also played rugby for Swansea whilst his sister Fanny was also well-known in lawn tennis circles, representing Somerset.
During the late 1890s Frank moved to Cheltenham before moving to the Kensington area of London during the 1930s. By this time, he had changed his surname to Byng-Morris, having been granted by deed poll this alteration in 1927.
MORRIS, Frank Hall (later FH BYNG-MORRIS).
Born – Laleston, Bridgend, 16 July 1869.
Died – Tonbridge, 21 October 1954.
Batting and Fielding Record
Minor County Friendlies – 16 v Monmouthshire at Cardiff Arms Park, 1893.