Cyril Stacey was the elder brother of Frank Stacey and also played cricket for Glamorganshire between 1863 and 1870.

Born at St. John’s Vicarage in the centre of Cardiff in 1827, he was educated at Shrewsbury School as well as Merton College, Oxford besides spending time at Wells Theological College in Somerset before becoming ordained and succeeding his father as Curate of St. John’s from 1852 until 1860.

He was an enthusiastic cricketer and in 1855 he played in his first major match as he was chosen in the XXII of South Wales which met the All-England Eleven at Court Herbert in Neath. Cyril was one of many in the local team to record a duck against the crack professionals, before two months later, meeting the All-England Eleven in their contest against a Cardiff and District XXII at the Arms Park. He faired slightly better, scoring 3 and 0.

In 1856 he guested for the Llanelly and District side which met the All-England team at Llanelly House, as well as the Hereford and District side which challenged the United England Eleven on the Racecourse in the English market town. In 1857 he also played for the Cardiff and District XXII which met the United England Eleven on the Arms Park. Although he only scored 0 and 1, he would not have been chosen for all of these exhibition matches if he did not have some talent with the bat.

However, he bagged a pair on his county debut, playing for Glamorganshire against Carmarthenshire at the Bryn-y-Mor Field in Swansea. His clerical duties took him to England so it was not until June 1869 that he played again for the Welsh county, scoring 1 and 1 against Monmouthshire at the Arms Park. The following June he made his third and final appearance for Glamorganshire, scoring 5 and 2 against the same opponents at the same venue.

Cyril also acted as curate of Tockington, near Bristol, as well as being vicar of Dulas in Herefordshire and later the vicar of Winchcombe in Gloucestershire.

STACEY, Rev. John Thomas Cyril.

Born: Cardiff, 22 May 1827.
Died: Winchcombe, Gloucestershire, 25 February 1895.