Charles Veal was another man who mixed military service with playing a high standard of cricket with the Bridgend-born amateur appearing twice for Glamorgan during 1910.
He joined the Welsh Regiment after completing his education at Charterhouse and Repton, and served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Boer War. However, Charles was badly wounded in his torso during the Battle of Paardeberg in February 1900 and was forced home with his injuries. His gallantry under fire won him the Queens Medal, but thankfully Charles fully recovered after a period in a military hospital and a nursing home.
Charles was based for a while in the Folkestone area before moving to the Home Counties with his fearless batting seeing him selected for both the MCC and Middlesex 2nd XI. During this time, he also made a series of first-class appearances for the MCC, starting with games against Worcestershire and the West Indians in 1906, followed by the match with Oxford University in 1908 and then a trio of games in 1910 against Yorkshire and Leicestershire as well as the Oxford students once again.
1910 also saw Charles – now a captain in the Welsh Regiment – back home in South Wales and attached to Cardiff. His success in club cricket saw him chosen twice by the Glamorgan selectors. His first appearance came against Monmouthshire at Rodney Parade during early July with Charles opening the batting with Tal Whittington, whilst the second saw him occupy the number five slot against Surrey 2nd XI at Neath in the closing game of the summer.
Despite still scoring runs in club cricket, Charles was not called up again by the Glamorgan selectors. He subsequently served as Assistant Provost Marshall in the War Office during the Great War. After hostilities were over, Charles was elevated to the rank of Major and also played cricket for the Gloucestershire Gypsies.
VEAL, Capt. Charles Lewis.
Born – Bridgend, 29 August 1876.
Died – Kensington, London, 1 June 1929.
Batting and Fielding Record
Minor County Championship – 21 v Monmouthshire at Rodney Parade, Newport, 1910.