Below is a selection of images, past and present, of some of the cricket pavilions in Wales. We would love to add any you have of your own club pavilion, so please send an email to email@example.com
Marchwiel Hall, near Wrexham. The ground and pavilion were laid out during the early 1880s before the estate became the property of the McAlpine Family. Photo Credit – Andrew Hignell.
For every grand cricket pavilion erected in the early twentieth century there was a score akin to the building in the above photograph. Wooden structures with a corrugated iron roof they provided basic, yet welcome, facilities for club cricketers to store equipment, change, eat and, when needed, take shelter from the elements. Cheap and easy to build they were a common feature on sports grounds across Wales. This particular pavilion was opened at Bonvilston in May 1904 and served the cricket club and many other local clubs and societies for over 70 years. To find out more about cricket in Bonvilston at this time, including the local benefactor who paid for the construction of the pavilion and the county captain who played for the Bonvilston team, click here. Photo Credit – The use of the above photograph is with kind permissions of the estate of EC Deere.
The opening of the pavilion at Carew CC in Pembrokeshire in 1936. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.
An image from the 1920s of the pavilion, built by Wilfred Wooller senior at Rhos-on-Sea for Colwyn Bay CC. Photo Credit – David Parry / Colwyn Bay CC.
The modern-day pavilion at Gowerton. The club dates back to 1879 when a team was created under the patronage of Colonel Roper Wright, the owner of the Elba Steelworks. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.
Ebbw Vale CC – a postcard image from the 1920s of the Welfare ground, now known as Eugene Cross Park. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.
The Builth Wells CC pavilion, seen in 1911, with the Montgomeryshire side in the foreground. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.
An image of the modern-day pavilion at Cresselly, as seen in 2007 when Glamorgan took their List A match against Surrey to the Pembrokeshire ground. Photo Credit – Glmaorgan Cricket Archives.
Hill’s Plymouth CC – an image taken in June 1909 at the formal opening of the new pavilion at the Merthyr club’s ground in Pentrebach. Image Credit – Joshua Heath / CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.
Cardiff CC – an image from 1880 of one of the first pavilions to be built in Wales and, under the instruction of the Marquess of Bute, to resemble an Alpine chalet. Photo Credit – Jane James.
St.Fagans CC – an image, dated 1925, of their pavilion created with the financial assistance of the Earl of Plymouth. Image Credit – Gareth Watkins (St Fagans CC)
Newport CC – an image taken in 1907 of the club’s pavilion at Rodney Parade with the groundstaff and professionals in front. Photo Credit – Mike Knight (Newport CC).
The current clubhouse and pavilion at Usk. The first reference to cricket being played in the Monmouthshire town dates from 1815, with the current ground to the south of the town centre being used from the 1870s. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Museum.
Llandrindod Wells CC – an image of their team from 1902, with their pavilion and scoreboard in the background. Photo Credit – CC4 Museum of Welsh Cricket.