There are suggestions that informal games of cricket were taking place on Anglesey during the 1840s, and by the next decade formalized clubs were in existence on the island.
One of the earliest was in Holyhead who met a Gentlemen’s XI at Treaddur Bay on 16th July 1852.Two years later, through the encouragement of Sir Richard Bulkeley of Baron Hill, a similar club was in existence at Beaumaris with Sir Richard being a most generous patron, providing land on his estate for a pitch, besides appointing a professional bowler to help coach the locals, besides paying for bats, balls and stumps.
Prior to matches being played he would also ensure that his groundstaff had mown the grass in the meadow situated in front of his palatial home, besides having cut and rolled a suitable wicket. The local newspaper also acknowledged his provision of shaded accommodation from which the local ladies could watch the match, “under the shadow of the chestnut trees which fringe the ground, and being perfectly safe from all dangers that may accrue from this highly favourable game.”
These games on the lawn in front of Sir Richard’s home would have been similar to the image below: